1 1/2 cup gram flour (chickpea flour)
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
assorted uncooked vegetables cut into medium to thin rings (try onions, sweet potatos, peppers, potatos, eggplant, etc. Bananas may even be used for a traditional sweeter version!)
vegetable oil to deep fry
1. Begin heating oil to deep fry.
2. Mix chickpea flour, salt, cumin seeds, and turmeric in a large bowl. Slowly add water until a smooth, medium consistancy batter develops.
3. Dip the vegetables in the batter, slice by slice. Coat completely--the amount of batter will determine the thickness of the bhajia's crust. Do not add too much batter.
4. Gently slide the batter-dipped vegetable slice into the hot oil and deep fry until dark golden brown. The crust should be firm and slightly crispy. Make sure the vegetable is fully cooked through.
5. Serve bhajias as a snack or starter with assorted chutneys.