1 medium cabbage, cut into thin strips
2 onions finely slivered
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. rice grains
2 dry red chillies broken in half
1 tsp. olive or canola oil
3-4 curry leaves
salt to taste 3/4 cup fresh coconut grated
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
3 flakes garlic
2 green or red fresh chillies
2-3 pinches turmeric powder
1. Combine coconut, cumin seeds, garlic flakes, chilies, and turmeric. Mash slightly with the back of a spoon to form a paste
2. Put ground paste in a large pan, cover with cabbage.
3. Sprinkle some salted water, cover and cook till steam is given out.
4. Stir gently, sprinkle some more water, cover and keep aside.
5. Heat oil in a small pan, add rice and mustard seeds.
6. Allow to splutter, add chilies, curry leaves and onions.
7. When onions are transparent, pour over cabbage mixture.
8. Simmer again, stirring gently, till all water is evaporated.
9. Serve hot with rice or roti