1 cup long grain rice
1 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp. chopped unsalted cashews
3 green chilies slit with seeds removed
½ tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
5 tbsp. grated or shredded fresh coconut
1 tbsp. coriander chopped
2 tsp. oil
salt to taste
lemon to taste
1. Wash and soak rice in salted water for 30 minutes. Drain rice in colander.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan.
3. Add mustard and cumin seeds, cashews, stir till spluttering.
4. Add chilies. Stir, add rice.
5. Stir very gently, with a wide spatula till oil coats rice evenly.
6. Add coconut milk and 1 1/2 cups water.
7. Add salt, keeping in mind the water was salted.
8. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer covered.
9. Stir occasionally. When the rice is ¾ done, add lemon.
10. Mix very gently. Simmer till done and all water evaporates.
11. Add more water in between if required.
12. Garnish with coriander and fresh coconut before serving.
13. Serve hot with raita, kadhi or rasam.