1 lb carrots, grated
3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup melted, clarified butter (ghee)
2 granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
20 almonds, blanched, peeled, and chopped
cardamom from about 10 pods, chopped
3 tbsp sultanas or raisins
1. In a large saucepan, boil the milk, sugar, and carrots over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon (about 1/2 an hour). Stir frequently.
2. Add the melted butter and continue to cook until all the butter is absorbed and the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan.
3. Add the raisins and mix for 2-3 more minutes.
4. Transfer mixture to a large baking dish or heatproof platter and sprinkle almonds and cardamom on top. Allow halva to cool for 1-2 hours.
5. When halva has firmed and set, cut into squares and serve.