4-5 medium pomfret fish cleaned
1 tsp turmeric powder
2-3 tsp lemon juice
3 dried red chillies
1 tsp cumin seed
2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
6 cloves garlic
1-1/4 inch piece peeled fresh ginger
2-1/2 cups freshly grated coconut
1 large onion chopped fine
2 tbls olive or canola oil
small lump of tamarind
chopped flesh from 1/2 lime
1/4 kg peeled tomatoes
3 fresh green chillies
1. Marinate the fish fillets with the turmeric, a little salt, and the lemon juice for an hour.
2. Grind the seeded red chili peppers, cumin and coriander seeds, and peppercorns to a fine powder
3. Grind the garlic, ginger and coconut to form a smooth paste. Mix with spices from step 2.
4. Sautee the onion until golden brown in a large pan or pot.
5. Add the ground paste and cook on a low flame for 10 minutes.
6. Pour in 2 cups of boiling water and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Now put in the fish and its cooking liquid, together with the tamarind juice and chopped lime.
8. Cook gently for 10 minutes.
9. Just at the very end, add the chopped tomatoes and de-seeded green chillies.
10. Serve hot