Green Bean and Potato Kootu
Dried split peas (yellow) 1/2 cup
Poppy seeds 1/2 tsp
Mustard or mustard seeds 1 tsp
Grated coconut 3 tsp
Plain yoghurt 2 tbsp
Chopped red chilles (with seeds removed) 2 or 3
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Paprika 1/2 tsp
Salt 1 tsp (or to taste)
Vegetables: Green beans and Potatoes washed and chopped evenly
Cilantro for garnish
1. Cook split peas in boiling water until very soft, mash slightly to thicken, and keep aside.
2. Cook potatoes with turmeric, paprika and salt to taste in a medium dutch oven or other pot with just enough water to cover.
3. Separately, combine ground coconut, poppy seeds, mustard, and chopped red chilles. Add yoghurt until the mixture forms thick paste. Set aside.
4. When potatoes are nearly done, add green beans and continue cooking, evaporating any excess water.
5. When green beans are slightly tender, add the split peas and spice paste to the cooked vegetables, and cook until the flavours combine.
6. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with rice or flatbread.