4 large firm Green (raw) tomatoes
1 tsp. coriander finely chopped
1 stalk curry leaves
1/3 tsp. red chilli powder
1/4 tsp. coriander (dhania) powder
3-4 pinches turmeric powder
2-3 pinces asafoetida (may be omitted)
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp. each cumin & mustard seeds
salt to taste
2 tsp. olive or canola oil
1. Wash and chop tomatoes into eight pieces each.
2. Heat oil in heavy pan.
3. Add seeds, asafetida, curry leaves, allow to splutter.
4. Add chopped tomatoes, sauté for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add all other ingeredients, except coriander.
6. Allow to cook on low, covered, for about 3-4 minutes.
7. The tomatoes must be tender but not mushy.
8. Serve hot with thin phulkas, parathas, etc.
Makes 3 servings