3 cups buttermilk
2 tbsp. chickpea flour
1 green chili pepper, diced finely
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
1 tsp salt
1 tomato, diced
fresh coriander (to taste)
1. In a large pot, combine buttermilk and chickpea flour. Whisk well with either a hand whisk or electric mixer until frothy. The chickpea flour should be completely incorporated.
2. Add diced chili pepper and ginger to the mixture. Add salt, turmeric, chili powder, cumin powder, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds. Whisk mixture again until all spices are incorporated.
3. Over medium to low heat, allow kadhi to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Kadhi may foam up during the first 5 minutes of cooking: gently stir and reduce heat if needed to prevent overflow.
4. Remove pot from heat and garnish with tomato and coriander leaves just before serving.
5. Serve hot with roti, rice, or khichadi.