Kale Vatanechi Amti
about 3 cans of blackeyed peas, rinsed and drained well
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp corriander powder
2 or 3 medium onions
3/4 cup fresh unsweetened grated coconut (avaliable in most baking sections)
4 cloves of garlic
2 tsp ghee (melted butter)
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp black pepper
fresh cilantro to garnish
salt to taste
1. Peel and slice one onion into large rings. Finely chop the remaining onions.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tsp of oil and sautee the ring onions until translucent. Add 1/2 of the coconut and the garlic. Sautee for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
4. Add enough warm water to cover ingredients, season with salt and black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer.
5. Cook until blackeyed peas are tender and almost done. Add the coconut/onion mixture and the reserved plain coconut. Stir to incorporate and cook for another 3-5 minutes
6. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot with rice or flatbreads