1 lb spinach (may also use fenugreek greens, radish greens, or another of your choice)
1/4 cup coriander chopped
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 tsp. ginger grated
1 tsp. garlic grated
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. cumin powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
crushed, toasted peanuts to taste
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp olive or canola oil
1. In a sautee pan, heat 1 tsp oil over medium flame. Add turmeric, cumin, and chili powder as well as cumin and mustard seeds. When seeds begin to sputter, add the chopped onion, ginger, and garlic.
2. Add the spinach or other greens, working in batches if necessary. With tongs, toss the spinach to combine with the spices.
3. Cook until spinach is wilted. Turn heat to high and allow any excess water to evaporate. Stir occasionally.
4. When water has evaporated, mash the spinach slightly with the back of a spoon.
5. Add lemon juice and mix well. Remove to serving dish.
6. In the same pan, toast dry peanuts until they give off a pleasant aroma. Sprinkle over the top of the spinach and toss.
7. Garnish with cilantro and serve with roti or over basmati rice.
Makes 3-4 servings