1/2 pound fresh okra
1 onion finely chopped
3 tbsp. coconut shredded
1/2 tbsp. coriander finely chopped
1/2 tsp. ginger grated
1 tbsp. cashews broken
5 whole red chilies
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. mustard seeds
3/4 cup yoghurt beaten
1/4 tsp. crushed red chili
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 tbsp. wheat flour
2 tbsp. olive or canola oil
1. Wash, wipe and cut tips and bases of okra. Chop in 1" pieces.
2. Grind coconut and cashews to a coarse paste in the food processer.
3. Heat oil in a heavy pan, sautee okra till crisp.
4. Drain and keep aside.
5. Add seeds to pan with hot oil from okra cooking, allow to splutter.
6. Add whole chillies, curry leaves, ginger, stir.
8. Add crushed chilli, coconut/cashew paste, turmeric, and salt.
9. Mix yoghurt and flour until it forms a smooth paste, adding water if needed.
10. Add to the sauteed mixture and stir continuously till boil is reached.
11. Simmer for 5 minutes, check taste for masala and salt.
12. Add the okra back to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
13. Garnish with coriander, serve hot with steamed rice or rotis.