1/2 cup long grain or basmati rice
4 cups milk
1/4 cup raisins
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup slivered and blanched almonds
nutmeg (to taste)
1 tsp. cardamom seeds (optional)
A few strands of saffron (optional)
1.Wash and drain the rice. Cook as usual in boiling water until done. Set aside.
2. In a deep pot, boil the milk over medium heat, stirring frequently.
3. Add the cooked rice once the milk begins to boil. Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Stir often, scrape the sides and bottom frequently to prevent sticking.
4. When the milk begins to become creamy, add sugar and stir well.
5. Continue simmering the milk and rice over medium-low heat until the milk reduces by 1/3 to ½. (about 15-20 minutes) Stir frequently.
6. When the milk has reduced, stir in crushed cardamom seeds, Saffron and shredded almonds.
7. Garnish with nutmeg. Serve hot or refrigerated cold