2 cups long grain or basmati rice
1 cup orange juice
1 tsp orange zest
1/4 cup sugar
2 sticks of cinnamon
1/2 cup ghee (melted butter)
1/4 cup milk
2 cardamom pods (optional)
1/2 tsp black pepper
pinch of saffron strands
salt to taste
1. Soak rice in water to cover for 30 min.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat the ghee until just warm (1-2 min). Add the cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom. Allow to roast in the ghee for 1 min or so.
4. Add about 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer.
5. Soak the saffron in 1/4 cup of milk for 10 min. Add to the rice pot
6. Cook rice covered for another 20 min or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is fully cooked.
7. Serve as a side dish with naan, vegetables, or daal.