8 soft, medium sized rolls or buns
2 tbsp butter
2 onions, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, diced
2 1/2 cups chopped mixed vegetables (try corn, green beans, carrots, peas, cauliflour, potatoes, etc. A bag of mixed frozen veggies may also be used.)
2 tsp chili powder (adjust to taste)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp each of grated ginger and garlic
1 tbsp chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish
1. Cook mixed vegetables until well done and tender. Drain and very coarsely mash. Set aside.
2. Melt 1 tbsp butter in a pan and add ginger, garlic, onion, and tomato. Cook until onions begin to turn translucent (about 2-3 min.)
3. Add chili powder, cumin, turmeric, salt, and sugar. Cook mixture for another 2 minutes.
4. Add mixed vegetables, stir, and bring the gravy to a boil, adding a little water if necessary.
5. Lower the heat to a simmer, reducing liquid until a thick stew is formed. Stir occasionally.
6. Slit the rolls horizontally, leaving one side attached. Spread inside of roll with butter and grill or lightly toast the rolls.
7. To serve, spoon some of the bhaji or stew into a warm roll. Garnish with cilantro, a bit of lemon juice, and some chopped onions. Eat as a "sandwich".