1 1/2 cups long grain rice
1/2 cup peas (boiled)
2 medium green bell peppers
3 tbsp. chopped, unsalted cashews
3 tbsp. soft small raisins
1 tbsp. coriander finely chopped
2 onions cut into strips
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
3-4 pinches asafetida (may be omitted)
2 cardamom pods
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp turmeric
½ tsp chili powder
1 tsp olive or canola oil
1 tsp salt
lemon to taste
1. Wash and soak rice in salted water for 30 minutes.
2. Toast cashews with oil in a large sauce pan until light brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add cumin seeds to remaining oil in pan, allow to splutter.
4. Add salt, asafoetida, cloves, bayleaves, cardamoms, cinnamon, cumin powder, turmeric, and chili powderMix well.
5. Add drained rice, stir gently till well coated. Add raisins.
6. Add 6 cups water, bring to a boil. Simmer covered till 3/4 done.
7. Add more water if required.
8. Add peas, toasted cashew, bell peppers, onions (save some for garnish), and lemon to taste.
9. Stir gently with a spatula. Cover and finish off cooking till all water evaporates.
10. Garnish with coriander and some of the reserved onions.
11. Serve hot with vegetables or rotis.
Makes 6 servings. You may also substitute corn, baby carrots, or green beans for the peas in this recipe.