Ragda Patties take a little bit of extra work, but the results are worth it, either as a light meal or heavy snack.
Ingredients for Ragda
1 1/2 cups of canned white beans or chickpeas
2 to 3 cups water
3 green chillis
1 tbsp cilantro
1 tbsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp paprika
1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp cumin powder
2 tsp olive oil
Ingredients for Patties
4 potatoes, boiled and mashed
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
6 green chillis, chopped finely
oil to shallow fry patties
Method for Ragda
1. Drain off canning liquid and coarsly mash chickpeas or beans.
2. Remove 3 tbsp of beans and blend with mint, cilantro, and green chillis until it forms a paste. Set the rest of the beans aside.
3. Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a medium pan and add the paste. Cook on medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add paprika, cumin, turmeric, and salt to the paste. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add 2 cups water and rest of beans. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
6. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
Method for Patties
1. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl (by hand). Make sure the bread crumbs are incorporated fully into the mashed potatoes. Knead lightly.
2. Begin to heat the oil in a large skillet for shallow frying.
3. Form 2 inch patties (about 1/2 inch thick) from the potato mixture.
4. When the oil is hot, place one or two patties in the pan. Fry on both sides until golden brown and crispy on the outside. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
Serve warm patties topped with about 2 tbsp of hot ragda (adjust to taste). Yoghurt is often served on the side as a cooling balence. Garnish with cilantro.