2 cups long grain or basmati rice
4 tsp chopped ginger
2 tsp garlic
3 sticks of cinnamon
3 green peppers
cilantro (corriander leaves) for garnishing
1 cup dry red kidney beans (may substitute canned variety)
1. Soak dry beans for several hours, then cook until tender. (If using canned, simply drain off excess liquid, rinse beans in cold water, and cook until soft and hot.) Set aside.
2. Cook rice until done on stovetop, about 30 minutes
4. In a large pot, lightly brown tomatoes, green pepper and onions.
5. Add garlic, ginger, pepper, cinnamon, and cloves. Cook for about 2 minutes.
6. Add the kidney beans, salt, cilantro, and 3 1/2 cups water. Stir well.
7. When the mixture comes to a boil, add the rice. After 5 minutes, cover the lid and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
8. Serve hot as a main course or as a side with vegetables.