1/4 cup coriander chopped
1 onion finely minced
1/2 tsp. ginger grated
1 tsp. garlic grated
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. fenugreek seeds
4 tbsp olive or canola oil
1. Cut potatoes into medium dice.
2. Grease a sheet pan with 1 tbsp of oil, spread potatoes evenly on the pan, and roast in the oven until a fork pieces easily but potatoes remain firm. (alternative: potatoes may simply be boiled in their skins and then chopped)
3. If desired, peel potatoes after they have cooled slightly.
4. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large pan. Add turmeric, chili powder, mustard seeds, cumin powder, fenugreek seeds, and cumin seeds. Toast lightly.
5. Add onion and the remainder of the oil. Lower the heat on the pan to medium.
6. Add the potatoes to the pan, stiring gently to coat them with the spices.
7. Warm the potatoes through on high heat, taking care not to break them. (about 3 minutes)
8. Garnish with coriander, serve hot with rice, parathas or rotis.
Makes 3-4 servings