1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. red chili powder
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
½ tsp salt (may be modified to taste)
4-5 pinches asafoetida
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. sesame seeds
2 tbsp. olive or canola oil
water as needed to form dough
canola oil for shallow frying
1. Mix all ingredients except the oil reserved for shallow frying.
2. Slowly add water and knead into a soft pliable dough. Be very careful that the dough is not too loose.
3. Preheat a non-stick sautee pan or griddle pan on medium-high heat.
4. Divide dough into 9-10 balls, roll each into a 5" round.
5. Sprinkle flour over each thepla while rolling, for ease.
6. Place on a hot griddle drizzled with oil. Shallow fry until lightly brown on bottom side. Some dark spots should appear after about 1 minute.
7. Flip thepla and repeat for other side. (You may need to add a little more oil.) Remove from heat and place on a plate.
8. Repeat for remaining dough.
9. Serve hot with vegetables or rice.